Tuesday, February 19, 2008

GETTING REAR-ENDED

Yup, it happened to us yesterday - rear-ended at about 10:05 a.m.

There were five of us in our Jeep Cherokee heading to an outdoor festival about 20 miles away. Although we had never been to this festival, it was apparent that it was very popular. Traffic increased, slowed, then finally came to a stop maybe less than a mile from our intended destination. We were at a standstill behind a Jeep Liberty when BAM, we were wickedly hit from behind.

The driver ahead of me, who we were pushed into, soon told me he had passed the person behind us maybe a mile back as she was busily talking on a cell phone. It had angered him that she appeared (to him) oblivious to her surroundings. She was still on the phone as we exited our vehicle, no doubt in as much shock as we were.

I was dizzy and had blurred vision initially. Headaches have persisted. The neck feels like a an accordian. My daughter has pains in the neck. The other person's insurance company will pay for those treatments without problem, hopefully.

They call them "accidents". I had no hard words for the lady who hit us, offering comfort as she cried. She was upset but who wouldn't be at causing a four car accident. But I knew she didn't intend to ram us. She was not paying attention plain and simple. But that happens to the best of us in life.

What's up with State Farm though?

I called State Farm a little over three hours later to inform them their insured had rear-ended us, that there were plenty of witnesses, a police report and that their insured had been cited by officers on the scene.

The State Farm claims person who answered said they could do nothing until their insured called the claim in.

Huh? Let me get this straight. I have a wrecked vehicle and State Farm cannot proceed until their insured makes a phone call? What if she never does call?", I quizzed her. Continuing, I asked, "Under those circumstances, why would she or anyone else call in to report a claim against themselves? If she never does call, does the claim go unsettled? Does my car go unfixed."

Actually, I knew that I could go to my own insurer and have them fix my vehicle. I would be out my deductible temporarily until my insurance company settled the claim with State Farm. But it was irritating the approach this woman took.

So I pressed on patiently.

Finally, I was transferred to someone who took my information and promised to contact their insured to get their side of the story. I am fine with that. I was also promised a claims adjuster would call within 48 hours. We'll see how that goes.

At this point I have to trust the system to work. But that initial response from State Farm was less than satisfying. I hope they are alone in the way they treat those who call to report a claim. It seemed an instant defensive reaction that was not necessary from an old and established insurer.






Arizona Auto Insurance
Arizona Home Owner Insurance